The brief History of the Catholic church of Fushun
Catholicism was introduced to Fushun by a French missionary priest who served the Paris Foreign Missionaries during the late ends of the Qing Dynasty (dating back to Year 1890).
In 1924 was the initial establishment of the Church of Fushun was governed under the Shenyang diocese jurisdiction.
In 1925, the Holy See put the Shenyang East District Diocese under the management of the American Maryknoll Foreign Mission Society.
In 1927, the Fushun diocese finalized its official establishment. An American bishop by the name of Lin Hua Dong along with five fellow Chinese priests transferred over by the diocese of Shenyang preached the good news of the Lord in Fushun. At that time, the LiaoNing Province Dalian Catholic Church, ZhuangHe County Rong Hua Shan Catholic Church, City of BenXi, City of Dan Dong, JiLin Province’s HaiLong county, SanCheng Town, Er Ba Dan, City of TongHua, ChaoYang Town, Lin Jiang, LiuHe county, HengTongShan and various Catholic Churches were under the Fushun Parish jurisdiction.
After the establishment of the diocese of Fushun and for the parish to flourish, a piece of land was purchased from the Bureau of Mines (unsure,pls double check) to build a catechism center, a church as well as a convent. A church was named after St. Joseph (Dating up to present day)
World War II took place on December 8th, 1941. The Japanese army surrendered on August 15th,1945, in between these occurrences, the diocese of Fushun was once again under governing the Shenyang diocese. Priests were sent over to perform sacraments, and other miscellaneous subjects were under the management of the Fushun Sacred Heart Covent.
In 1966, unprecedented in the history of China’s “Cultural Revolution” took place. All activities of Catholicism were banned. In 1980, The Fushun Catholic Church resumed all Christian religious activities.
In 1983, the diocese divided areas into administrative regions. The Fushun diocese converted to the Fushun parish, as well as three new counties and four districts. They are: FuShun county, XinBin county, QingYuan county; WangHua district, DongZou district, XinFu district, and ShunCheng district.
Construction of the Priests residential building took place from 1985 – 1986. Early 1991, with the fundamental foundation of the Catholic Church and through the years of its metamorphosis; the Catholic Church of Fushun is proud to announce its final completion upon December 15th, 1991. This church can accommodate around 1,200 people.
The Catholic diocese of Fushun dating back to 1985 up to present year 2011 shows there have been 15 priests and some twenty over nuns managing the Parish.
Today, the Catholic diocese of Fushun will continue to serve its purpose and flourish under the name God by the guidance of the Holy Spirit as well as the joint efforts of our fellow brothers and sisters.